Full Mouth/Jaw Dental Implants
Full Mouth Implants in India
Mr. S, a 39 year young individual residing in the USA had suffered long with destructive periodontal/gum disease that had affected all his teeth. This suffering led him to look for a treatment of full mouth rehabilitation with dental implants in the US. Since the cost/finance for such a treatment in USA is generally 10 times that in India, his research to get his full mouth/jaw dental implants in India led him to our clinic Smilekraft Dentistry in Pune.
During our online consultations, we discussed about dental implant procedures (All on Four and All on Six) to replace all his teeth in the jaws that were advised to him by dental implant surgeons in the USA. Our initial plan as finalized over email was also to do the same, but owing to his young age and need of function for longer years, we decided on placing more dental implants to replace all his teeth. Ideally there should be an implant for each tooth. But most of the times, it’s not possible to have an implant to replace each missing tooth in a full mouth/jaw replacement surgery due to higher costs, complexity of the treatment and the availability of bone in the jaws. Thus, science and technology has been developed to replace all the teeth in the jaws with minimum number of dental implants. Though there are a few problems with such an approach, viz.
- The bridge will require multiple repairs or replacements over years increasing cost of treatment.
- A single implant failure may warrant the need to change the full artificial teeth bridge.
- Bone loss associated with areas missing dental implants.
The pictures are of a complete transformation of smile, bite and function with full mouth/jaw dental implants in Pune, India.
Thus, because of his need of aesthetics and function to last for longer years we decided on placing maximum number of dental implants that were possible for him for a fraction of a cost that he would have incurred in the USA. The advantages to do so were:
- More implants meant more number of fixed artificial individual teeth with lesser and cheaper repairs in the future.
- Better distribution of functional load and forces on the implants thus increasing their lifespan.
- Ease of home care with better flossable areas.
- Lesser bone loss around implants as compared to areas without dental implants.
- To have a back up of dental implants in case of a failure of a functional dental implant without major cost implications.
Full Mouth/Jaw implants procedure:
The procedure involved the extraction of all the diseased teeth and tissue with bone grafting performed wherever required followed by the placement of 22 dental implants in strategic locations to replace maximum number of teeth ensuring the future restoration of function and aesthetics to the best possible outcome, customized specifically for the patient considering his age, health and expectations.
In the first part of the procedure we used 10 dental implants to restore immediate functional and aesthetic needs. The remaining implants in such a case will be used in function after a mandatory healing period of 6 months.
The lower jaw was immediately restored following the All-on-four concept, while the upper jaw was restored using 6 Nobel Biocare Active dental implants.
The full mouth dental implant surgeries were performed in 2 consecutive days by Dr. Priyank Mathur, Dr. Shashwat Magarkar and Dr. Shruti Patil followed by the fixing of the long term fixed temporary teeth on the 4th day.
The picture of the case shows his temporary teeth. We are yet to give him a permanent teeth set on his full mouth dental implants.
What we did:
Implants from Nobel Biocare, Biohorizons and Adin
Scope of the treatment:
- Replace damaged, loose, missing or lost teeth with fixed teeth
- Restore lost bone
- Full mouth rehabilitation
- Smile Makeover
Approximate time period:
- A week
- Approximately Rs. 7,00,000/- or USD 10,000.